What should I do now?

Select a funeral home and inform the Funeral Director that the death is being handled by the Mid Michigan Medical Examiner Group. Ask them to notify us as soon as possible that they will be handling the arrangements. Our office does not select funeral homes, nor do we make arrangements.  Funeral Homes are the liaison between the medical examiner's office and yourself.  They are experts in every step of the final disposition of your loved one.

What if I don't have funds to pay for a funeral of my loved one?

  • Please contact a few funeral homes in the area for how they might be able to help.
  • There is certain eligibility criteria your loved one must meet to get funeral and burial payment assistance from the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services. Please contact the Health Department in the county of decedent's death.  The funeral home might be able to help you with this as well.
  • Is your loved one a Veteran?  There is a Veteran Services office in every county and many have fund set aside to help.
  • Walking away because you do not have the ability to pay does not have to be an option.

The Death Certificate is Pending.  When will that be updated?

In cases where the cause and manner of death are not determined at the time of the autopsy (in other words, pending further investigation), copies of the autopsy, investigative and toxicology reports will usually be available a few weeks after the cause of death is determined and a death certificate is filed. This can be as long as 4-5 months after the death, but it is usually sooner. Toxicology results are usually available in less than 8 weeks.

Your funeral home is notified within 15 minutes of the finalized case and updated to the Death Certificate.  Your Funeral Home will be able to get you any pre-ordered copies of the finalized death certificate.  You may also contact the Clerk's Office in the county of death, for a death certificate.

May I have a copy of the Autopsy Report? 

Reports are released only after all the reports (autopsy, investigative, and toxicology) and the death certificate have been completed.  We do not prepare preliminary reports.  

If you desire these reports, please write or email  (records@mmmeg.org). Please follow the information in the Records Request section of this website.  If emailing your request, please provide your relationship to the decedent and your return address (if requesting hard copies).  

I cannot find my loved one. Can you help? 

NamUs - National Missing and Unidentified Persons System

NamUs provides tools that empower family members of missing persons to enter and search case information or connect with criminal justice professionals to assist in the search for their missing loved ones. 

You may always email our office with questions regarding directions for this as well.